- python2 support is gone
- iconv is now a required dependency (external or provided by your libc)
- minimum cmake version has been bumped to 3.11
The GemRB team is proud to announce a new release.
It features loads of improvements in core game systems, making Icewind Dale II almost completable, but also in the rest of the engine. Among other things this means further improved speed, better unicode support and deprecation of Python 2 support. As usual the release also comes with many smaller features, bug fixes, polishing and code cleanups.
Sources and packages are available. You can get them from here.
Full changelog digest:
GemRB v0.9.1 (2022-08-29): New features: - iwd2 can be progressed to well into chapter 5 - faster loading and saving, faster OpenGL rendering - Use magic device skill, precise shot, iwd1 bard song choice - SDLAudio plugin now supports ambients - console history is now preserved, more text colors externalized - logging is now done via fmt (bundled headers) Improved features: - python3 support (now the only option) - unicode support (iconv not optional any more!) - spellcaster ai, effects, scripting, projectiles, weapon style customization - audio, drawing, appimage, ini spawns - bugfixes
Thanks to everyone that contributed their time, including: Adrien2002, Arc0re, Argent77, Brad Allred, Bubb, burner1024, chilvence, Clemens Tiedt, Cowcat5150, dagdha2002, Dan Church, Dariusz Okoń, Darpaek, DudeMcDude, Emwues, fizzet, FrElvire, Gabriel Sztorc, goduck777, Isso4820, jabaldwin, Jaka Kranjc, jheronimus, Laulajatar, m7600, MarcelHB, Michael Schellenberger Costa, Mingun, Northfear, reallyhairydave, Rhastor, Rodrigo Santellan, romadu, Sébastien Noel, shinra-electric, skellytz, Steamcrusher, Stephen E. Baker, Stephen Kitt, STyx2909, syzygos-mideias, Timothy Hyers, Tomsod, TotalCaesar659, Zimmermann Gyula.
If you want to be notified of GemRB releases via email, subscribe to the gemrb-release mailing list.
Notes to packagers:
News in the making
If you want a curt overview of what to expect in the next release, check the changelog in the making, which we update approximately every 100 changesets. If you want to know almost everything, follow the commit log instead.
If you want to know only when new releases happen, you can subscribe to the very low frequency gemrb-release mailing list.
- 2022: Upcoming dependency changes
- 2021: GemRB 0.9.0 released! (A view to the future edition)
- 2021: IRC channel moved to Libera Chat
- 2021: GemRB 0.8.8 released! (The calm before the storm edition)
- 2020: Recording of the MiniDebConf GemRB talk now available
- 2020: MiniDebConf Gaming Edition: GemRB talk and Q&A on 23rd November
- 2020: PlayStation Vita port included in sources
- 2020: Interview with Jaka "lynx" Kranjc on the 20 year anniversary of GemRB
- 2020: Interview with László "Avenger" Tóth on the 20 year anniversary of GemRB
- 2020: GemRB at 20: a look into the next big thing with Brad Allred
- 2020: Interview with Jarda "Edheldil" Benkovský on the 20 year anniversary of GemRB
- 2020: Interview with project founder Daniele Collantoni on the 20 year anniversary of GemRB
- 2020: The GemRB project celebrates 20 year anniversary with a new release
- 2020: GemRB 0.8.7 released! (Updated my journal edition)
- 2020: New pathfinder: smarter movement
- 2020: Unexpected new use case of GemRB: music video
- 2020: No more discord between IRC and Discord
- 2020: New homepage! (Minimal Mistakes edition)
- 2019: GemRB 0.8.6 released! (Revenge of the squirrels edition)
- 2019: Discord channel opened on the Gibberlings3 server
- 2017: GemRB 0.8.5 released! (Lynxiversary edition)
- 2016: Windows builds are back, through AppVeyor
- 2016: GemRB 0.8.4 released! (Icy bone box edition)
- 2015: Looking for Planescape: Torment testers
- 2015: GemRB 0.8.3 released! (Party hard edition)
- 2015: All the GemRB mods are now available in WeiDU form
- 2015: 10 player party mod released
- 2015: GemRB 0.8.2 released! (Deepwinter edition)
- 2014: GemRB 0.8.1 released! (Fork Me edition)
- 2014: Video overview of development in 2013
- 2013: SDL2 released!
- 2013: Yet another compilation script (especially for Debian and progeny)
- 2013: GemRB 0.8.0 released! (Fork Me edition)
- 2013: GIT repository fully moved to GitHub
- 2013: Video overview of 2012 (forum is back!)
- 2012: GemRB 0.7.2 released! (Paradox of choice edition)
- 2012: GemRB 0.7.1 released! (Feat of feats edition)
- 2011: GemRB 0.7.0 released! (Life of a Bhaalspawn edition)
- 2011: GemRB 0.6.6 released!
- 2011: GemRB 0.6.5 released!
- 2011: Breaking News
- 2011: GemRB 0.6.4 released!
- 2010: GemRB 0.6.3 released!
- 2010: 10th anniversary of GemRB and the 0.6.2 release!
- 2010: GemRB 0.6.1 released!
- 2009: GemRB V0.6.0 is out
- 2009: GemRB V0.5.1 is out
- 2009: GemRB V0.5.0 is out
- 2009: GemRB V0.4.0 is out
- 2009: GemRB V0.3.2 is out
- 2008: GemRB V0.3.1 is out
- 2008: GemRB V0.3.0 is out
- 2007: GemRB source repository migrated to SVN
- 2007: GemRB V0.2.8 for Windows is out
- 2006: GemRB V0.2.8 is out (and .7)
- 2005: GemRB V0.2.6 is out
- 2005: GemRB 0.2.5 released
- 2005: GemRB 0.2.4 released
- 2005: GemRB 0.2.3 released
- 2004: GemRB 0.2.2.8 Released
- 2003: GemRB v0.2.2.6 is Out
- 2003: GemRB v0.2.2.0 is out
- 2003: GemRB v0.2.1.6b for Windows
- 2003: New Linux Source Code Released
- 2003: New Demo Available
- 2003: New Source Code Available
- 2003: New CVS Repository Structure
- 2003: New Linux Source Code Release
- 2003: Linux Source Code Availabe
- 2003: First Demo Available
- 2003: IRC Channel
- 2003: Project Homepage is On-line
- 2003: GemRB Project is starting again