GemRB is a portable open-source implementation of Bioware’s 8 Infinity Engine versions.
- Runs the Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment games, their expansions and mods
- Cross-platform: runs on Windows, OS X, Linux, *BSD, Android, iOS and more
- Free Libre Open Source Software, available under the GPL
- Nearly feature-complete (TODO)
- Usability innovations, including touch based input and scaling
- Extensible plugin-based design that removes many limitations of the Infinity Engine
- Increased moddability over the originals
|Baldur’s Gate 1||yes||yes||yes||bg1|
|Icewind Dale 1||yes||yes||yes||iwd1|
|Baldur’s Gate 2||yes||yes||yes||bg2|
|Icewind Dale 2||yes||no||no||iwd2|
|New game||no||no||no||New game|
|Any Enhanced Edition||no||no||no||EE|
PST is completable, but has some notable missing features, making it the least polished game. IWD2 is playable quite nicely up until the Ice Temple. Both still require a lot more love to reach the level of the other games.
There is also a tiny tech demo bundled with GemRB, but it requires more content to be more than a simple test case.
Multiplayer is not supported.
If you can’t wait to see what improvements the next release will bring, a terse overview of what has already been done is in the changelog in the making, updated approximately every 100 changes.